Tuesday 18 July 2017

The Nordic Lands - Day Seven

Sudden

WE wake up at 4:00am to get the bus to the airport, which is as painful as you'd expect, especially since I didn't get to sleep until 1am. However, I definitely cheer up when I hear a guy with a drawling American accent pronounce 'Skyr Iceland' as 'Sky Riceland' in the airport. As we fly into Norway, the ice capped mountains gradually transform into luscious flatlands beneath insubstantial clouds. There are vibrantly green fields, sudden slopes and hills, winding rivers, and still blue lakes in the midst of vast full forests.

PERHAPS because of my sleep deprivation and a two hour flight, I get the giggles as soon as we land. I'm fascinated by the architecture of the airport, the reindeer sandwiches, and the 4ft troll toys on sale, but I'm mainly set off by the airport bins of all things. They do look a bit like Star Wars droids. I'm fully cackling after Ellie tries to steal the Kit Kat I'm eating in a bid to gain some chocolate and also recreate 'The Tramp and the Dog,' as she calls it.

AFTER a walk in the heat to the hostel with our bags, we treat ourselves to a Thai takeout, which we eat by the curves of the river, people/dog/bird watching. We then meander along the river, turning our gaze to the old converted factories and bars. I think we might be in the Digbeth of Oslo, but a more pretentious version. Our wander culminates in a park, where we lie in the grass and decide which of the aforementioned bars we should go to. We decide we should go to see Frank Znort at Club Bla the night Ellie gets her results. Amazing. Frustratingly, we leave some shopping at the supermarket, and some beds get mixed up which causes some drama
at the hostel, but I nevertheless feel so at peace here. The city is so beautiful I already miss it. Ellie says she can picture herself living here. Oddly, so can I.


No comments:

Post a Comment